Sunday, June 1, 2014

San Diego Fires

We had some fires here in San Diego very close to home. In fact, we were in the evacuation zone for the San Marcos fire and my parents were in the evacuation zone for the poinsettia fire. Definitely got us thinking about what's important as we're were packing up a couple bags of the most important things in our home. The computer and important papers were the essentials. But as I was looking around at all our stuff I'm realizing all I need is my family. Everything else is just stuff. Stuff to make life more comfortable, like my giant couch, but in the end it's just stuff. 
We had ash falling on us for a couple days but never felt incredibly threatened. Yes, the fire was just on the other side of the hill from us but we had the wind to our advantage blowing it away from us. 
The roads around our house were baricaided from Wedneaday to Friday night and I felt like a prisoner in my own home. Sometimes it takes an event like this to get you thinking about what's really important and getting prepared. 
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Taking a walk in the orange glow of the smoke (with no pants cause it was 100 degrees!)

No comments: