I ran my first half marathon this morning. I did things a little out of order, running a marathon before even running a half. I loved it. Running in a race is always an awesome experience. I was a little nervous for it (not nearly as many nerves for the marathon) because i was not sure of my race plan. Race plan for a marathon is: keep. your. legs. moving! But for a half you have to keep pushing the pace because of the shorter distance. I didn't figure out my race plan till mile 4: run fast down the canyon and keep the legs moving until the finish.
race gear
Race day:
I woke up at 3:30am, got ready and left the house at 4:00am. I arrived at American Fork High School at 4:20. Met up with Matt P (friend from the MTC) and his family and we were on the buses by 4:45. The bus ride is the worst part of the whole thing, it seems to last forever. The entire time I'm thinking, "You can just drop me off here." We arrived at the start line up Tibble Fork Canyon at 5:20. Stood in line to use a poty for 15 min (it was not nearly as bad as my marathon experience). I mingled with Matt and his family and my colleagues on the race team. At 5:50 I stripped my sweatpants and sweatshirt to send down the canyon in the clothing van. The sun had not come up yet so it was a cool, in the low 50's, perfect running weather. I positioned myself between the 1:45 and 1:55 pace runners. My goal was to finish under 2 hours. At 6:00am the starting gun went off. Crossed the start line and started my watch. The sound of feet all around you, exercising before the sun has risen is somehow magical. The canyon was beautiful. A narrow road surrounded by tall green trees and the river paralleling the road. Somewhere in mile 2 the water flooded the road where we all had to find our way across. My left foot stayed mostly dry and my right foot was only half unfortunate. Everything dried out pretty quickly and never caused any problems. Mile 3 came with the first aid station and I realized I was running a 8min/mile pace, a whole minute faster than training. Made me nervous but I felt good so I kept going. Mile 4, still going strong and that's when I decided my game plan: keep running fast while I have my downhill advantage and that will give me wiggle room with time the last 6 miles out of the canyon. Mile 7 I came out of the canyon, ate my gel (yum), and saw the sun for the first time. We ran along a paved running path that curved through the golf course and continued in the shade. By mile 9 I was tired! Negative thoughts kept coming, "Not sure If i can run 4 more miles." "I should just stop and walk." That's when I gave myself a pep talk, seriously. "Brit! You can do this!" I focused on the miles, one at time, I can finish. Soon enough I passed mile marker 12 and I picked up the pace. I just wanted it to be all over. I turned the corner and could see the balloon arch of the finish line in the distance. Picked it up, passed people and finally....finished! I heard them say my name as I crossed the finish line, what a good feeling.
other people on the intermountain race team.
cancer sucks
the finish
My official finish time was 1:47. I averaged out to a 8:12 mile.
my name is in the middle
I am pleased with my finishing time. Having never raced this distance my goal was under 2 hours.
At the finish I had some chocolate milk, water and bananas. A few of the girls from the office ran the 5K and I was able to hang and chat with them. When loading the bus early this morning i asked, "Why do I do this to myself!?" But the second it is all over I want to do it again. Psycho.
I have my eye on another half in august. Want to run with me?

4 comments:
I loved reading about your race. I wish I could run as fast as you. Plus I bet you looked hot in your new running shirt.
Are you kidding me!? That moonlight 1/2 looks so awesome! That'll be perfect! I loved reading this. It made me really scared to run my marathon, but it'll be so rewarding I know it. Can't wait to see you soon!
Brit! That is so great. I'm so glad that you had such a good experience and you were even able to do it in way under 2 hours! You are so hot right now:) I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that I ran my 1/2 almost a half and hour slower than you ran yours... so anyway... I'm super impressed. You rock my socks!
I was just telling Tim that I wanted to run that same race! PERFECT!!! You did amazing though! I remember that was my goal when I ran my half too, I think under 2 hours is great goal! But I'm impressed with your running skills...nice work!
Post a Comment