Yesterday was a busy day.
My to do list included:
1. Run 13 miles
2. Volunteer in the medical tent at the Utah Valley marathon
3. Hang with Grandma and Grandpa Jensen
It wasn't a long list but I wanted to spend most of my time with my Grandparents. Because I wanted to get up to Layton as quickly as I could, I decided my run had to happen before I reported to the medical tent at 8:00am. This meant my alarm was set for 5:20am, on a Saturday. Sleepy. I drove down to Provo and parked my car on Center Street, where the finish line was, so I could start and end my run there and walk right over to the medical tent. I began my run at 6:00 and was able to complete the 13 miles before I had to be there at 8:00. It was a perfect day in Provo for everyone out running. I bought some gel to start using in training. I've tried all the fruity flavors but chocolate is the winner. Its like eating fudge topping in the middle of your run. Yum.
When the opportunity came to volunteer at the marathon I was very excited about it. I have always been on the running end of things and I wanted to see what it was like to be the one helping the runners. Our tent was set up just off to the side of the finish line. We had doctors, nurses and athletic trainers all there to help. The first 2 hours I stood at the finish line as a "catcher", basically there to catch anyone attempting to collapse at the finish line and help steer then toward the medical tent.
The next 2 hours my job was to triage runners. Anything less serious (cramps, blisters, etc) stayed outside the tent and anything more serious was taken care of inside the tent. It seemed the first 1/3 of the runners were just fine, they know what they were doing. The last 1/3 was also fine cause they took it nice and easy. It was the middle 1/3 of the pack that produced the most customers. We only had a few serious cases that were sent to the hospital but the rest were able to walk out of there.
After the marathon I headed up to my grandparents and helped them with a few jobs in the backyard. We went to dinner and then watched a movie. It was a relaxing evening after a busy morning.
It's fun to sit and listen to Grandma and Grandpa's stories.
My first Saturday without a husband was a successful one.
Today Tristan is flying to Orlando, Florida for a week of training with all the KPMG interns. He flew out of San Diego this morning and will arrive in Orlando this evening. I will keep you updated on his activities and movements this week.



1 comment:
way to be productive! Geez if i ran 13 miles i would call it a day...even if it was 8am! Im sorry your husband is so far away from you! Im sure that is SO HARD! I love you Brit!
Post a Comment